Personal Finance Expert
Tyron Jones is a finance expert who has operated within the auto insurance business for more than 10 years. He has written many other finance related articles for a number of prominent publications.
- Low customer complaints than the industry average
- Client satisfaction scores are better than most of their competitors
- Locked in rates on your vehicle unless you make changes to your policy
J.D. Power has rated Erie Auto Insurance as one of the best in its region on customer satisfaction.
Erie Auto Insurance is located in Erie, Pennsylvania. They are a regional leader that operates in 12 different states and Washington D.C. They are located in:
- New York
- North Carolina
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
Customer Reviews And Awards For Erie Insurance
- Erie Insurance ranks the highest in Auto Insurance Purchase Experience Satisfaction for the 7th consecutive year according to J.D. Power. They earned a score of 917 out of a possible 1,000.
- Erie Insurance ranked 4th out of 24 insurers in NerdWallet’s best car insurance rankings.
- Scored 4 ¼ stars out of 5 stars on Overall Satisfaction from Consumer Affairs.
Erie Auto Insurance Coverage Benefits
- Rate Lock: Allows you to keep your insurance rates each consecutive year until you add or remove drivers, vehicles, or move (known as RateProtect in New York).
- Accident forgiveness: As a loyal customer, Erie Auto will not raise your rates with your first at-fault accident (after three consecutive years as a policy holder).
- Diminishing deductible: For their safe drivers, save $100 each consecutive year you do not file a claim. You can save up to $500.
Pet injury coverage:
- Pet injury coverage: Get $500 for veterinary care for each of your four-legged family members in an accident. Up to $1,000 of coverage.
- Erie knows your needs are different from everybody else. That is why they have an auto insurance policy that meets your needs.
New car protection:
- New car protection: In most states, if you have owned your new vehicle for up to 24 months, they will replace it with the same make and model of the current year. Limited to accidents that total out the vehicle.
Better car protection:
- Better car protection: If you have owned your vehicle for over 24 months, this policy will replace your totaled vehicle with the same make and model you have, but is two years newer. The other option is to pay off the existing auto loan. This coverage is available in most states.
Generous rental car coverage and options:
- Generous rental car coverage and options: If your vehicle is in for repairs, Erie Auto Insurance will cover basic comprehensive on your rental car at no additional cost. They also offer an upgrade option for a higher class rental vehicle for a reasonable upgrade charge.
Homeowners Insurance Options From Erie
Have peace of mind with Erie’s homeowners coverage that protects your home with the customary features you can expect from an insurer. They offer additional features that are more beneficial than other competitors.
Guaranteed replacement cost:
- Guaranteed replacement cost: If your home is damaged or destroyed, rest assured, Erie will pay out the replacement cost. Available in most states.
Animals and pets:
- Animals and pets: Your four-legged friends are covered up to $500 for veterinary costs. Talk to an agent to see if your dog or animal is covered under this policy.
Theft or loss:
- Theft or loss: Your personal property is covered with Erie’s basic coverage. Many competitors may have limits on how much they cover.
Erie Insurance has custom options you can add to your policy. This can cover those gaps in coverage that you may want to cover.
- High value electronic devices like computers and other components.
- Expensive jewelry, art, and other valuable pieces.
- Firearm coverage
- Identity theft
- Sump pump and sewer backup
Life Insurance Through Erie
Erie offers life insurance options that fits your situation. They offer Term, Whole, and Universal policies everywhere except the State of New York.
- Get up to $90,000 without a medical exam.
- Term policies are available for 5 through 30 years.
You can get your life insurance quote from Erie in less than 15 minutes after you apply.
Erie Insurance At A Glance
Financial Health is A+ (“Superior”)
According to A.M. Best, one of the top rating organizations, Erie’s financial health is strong and stable. This indicates how well an insurer can pay out claims.
Erie has less than the average number of complaints, relative to its size, in 2018. The is true for their auto, home, and life insurance business. This comes from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) which requires insurance companies to register every complaint.
According to J.D. Power, Erie Auto insurance is the top-rated insurer for 2018. J.D. Power ranks Erie in these categories:
Insurance Shopping (Auto):
- Insurance Shopping (Auto): Wins the top award for being among the best.
Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction:
- Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction: Wins the top award for being among the best.
- Homeowners Insurance: Ranks about average compared to other insurance companies.
Property Insurance Claims:
- Property Insurance Claims: Ranks above average with its competitors.
Other Benefits Of Erie Insurance
Erie’s website is very user-friendly. There is a lot you can do from your home computer. Currently, Erie does not have a mobile app.
- You can find an agent
- Get a quote
- Access your account
- Pay your bill
- File claims
- Locate a mechanic that accepts Erie coverage
Retirement planning and other insurance products
Erie offers investment products like annuities, individual retirement accounts (IRA), and other investment products. Erie does not offer annuity products in The State of New York.
Discount options available to Erie customers
Having policies with Erie Insurance can save you money with their available discounts.
- Multi-Policy If you have a combination of life, auto, and homeowners insurance with Erie, you can save money through the multi-policy discount. You may also be able to get car and renters insurance bundle quotes if you don’t own a home but rent.
- Diminishing Deductible Every consecutive year you do not file a claim, you can save $100 a year on your deductible, up to $500.
- Vehicle Storage Storing your vehicle for over 90 consecutive days can get you a discounted rate. Not available in Kentucky.
Safety Savings for auto
- Safety Savings for auto Factory installed safety devices like airbags, anti-theft devices, and anti-lock brakes have financial benefits on your auto policy. Not available in Kentucky.
- Full Payment Paying your annual renewal premium up front can save you money on the total cost.
- Youthful Driver You can save from 5-20% on your new driver in the family. If they are under 21 and live at home, you don’t have to fear your insurance rates. Look into the driver’s training discount if your new driver completed an accredited training course. For every consecutive year they are incident free, the discount can increase.
- College Credit If your child is away at college and does not have access to a car, you can save on their coverage.
Other insurance policy products Erie offers
If you need extra protection for the other things in your life, Erie Insurance can get you covered.
- Renters or condo
- mobile home
- Classic cars
- ATV and RV
- Identity theft and fraud reimbursement
One of The Best in The Industry
Erie Auto Insurance has proven itself to be one of the best in the auto insurance industry. They have won many awards and great reviews from some of the leading ranking organizations. More than that, they offer many options that are customer centric with their policies like new car and better car protection. Their discount programs are designed to be realistic and available to their customers.
General Erie Insurance Questions
If you have general questions about Erie Insurance and its various plans, make sure to check out the questions and answers in this section.
Why is Erie Insurance so cheap?
Erie Insurance isn’t always the cheapest option — you’ll have to compare quotes from other providers to makes sure that you’re getting the best deal. Ask about very cheap car insurance no deposit required.
Who owns Erie Insurance company?
Erie Insurance is a publicly traded company — you can purchase stocks in the company if you would like to invest. At present, it is traded on the Nasdaq.
Does Erie Insurance have a grace period?
You might not have a grace period if you don’t make your auto insurance payments on time. Make sure to discuss this with Erie Insurance if you want to make sure. Related: How long is a buy new car insurance grace period?
Does Erie Insurance offer roadside assistance?
You’re able to get roadside assistance if you purchase it. Just make sure to add it onto your policy if you want this type of coverage. You can speak with Erie Insurance directly to add this this form of assistance.
Does Erie Insurance have an app?
Yes, Erie Insurance does have an app that you can use to access a broad range of tools and documents. It’s a great way to carry your insurance details on your phone — it’s compatible with both Android and iPhone.
Does Erie Insurance pay customer or body shop?
Erie Insurance doesn’t offer information on this — you’ll need to speak to them directly to find if you are able to receive direct payment for a claim. You can also speak to your local agent to see what type of payment you can expect.
How long Does Erie Insurance allow to make a claim?
Erie doesn’t say exactly how long you have to make a claim, but you should certainly make a claim as quickly as possible. Not doing so may allow the other driver to dictate the narrative. Also, make sure to ask your local agent if your policy has a claim time limit.
How much Does car insurance drop at 24 Erie Insurance?
Erie doesn’t offer exact information about how much your rate will drop, but it does make it clear that most rates will reduce when you turn 24 as you will no longer be classed as a young driver. We also cover the best car insurance for high risk drivers more in depth in another article.
How to add another vehicle to Erie Insurance?
Erie states that you should contact your agent directly if you want to add another vehicle to your Erie insurance policy. Make sure that you add your vehicle if you want it to be legally covered. Be aware that car insurance for leased vehicles make have different coverage requirements.
How to change an automatic payment through Erie Insurance?
If you want to make any changes to a payment, you need to contact Erie Insurance’s customer support department. You should do this via telephone if you need to make a quick change.
How to check Erie Insurance body injury limit?
You should contact Erie Insurance directly or speak to your local agent if you want information about your body injury limit.
How to file a claim with Erie Insurance?
If you want to file a claim, you can either speak to your local agent from Erie Insurance, or call their claims hotline. They’re open 24/7 via telephone, so make sure to claim as soon as possible.
How to handle a windshield repair Erie Insurance?
You should contact Erie Insurance if you want advice on how to handle a windshield repair. This is especially true if you’re planning on making a claim via Erie Insurance for the windshield.
Is Erie Insurance cheaper than Geico?
This will depend on the Erie Insurance quote that you receive. You should always compare quotes to see what is cheaper. It will vary depending on your coverage and a range of other factors. However, Geico may have the cheapest rideshare insurance.
How much is Erie car insurance?
The answer to this question will depend on your particular policy. You’ll need to ask Erie Insurance what they’re willing to offer you. Pricing changes based on coverage and a range of other factors. See if they have a low mileage insurance product which could save you some money too.
Does Erie Insurance have accident forgiveness?
Yes, in some cases you will be able to get accident forgiveness at Erie Insurance. This can be a good way to prevent your rates from rising after an accident. This may also make for cheap auto insurance with bad driving record.
Does Erie Insurance offer gap insurance?
Erie Insurance doesn’t refer to its gap auto insurance as gap insurance, but they do offer a similar product that allows you to get the true value of the replacement of your vehicle. It’s a good way to reduce financial risk.
Is Erie Insurance any good?
Erie Insurance is one of the largest providers of insurance in the United States — they have plenty of happy customers and offer some of the best quotes auto insurance companies provide. This being said, it’s always important to keep your eye on consumer watchdog groups to determine if they’re current performing well with their clients. See what past customers say about Erie Insurance on the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You may even be able to insure your boat with them. Related topic: Used Boat Financing
Erie Insurance Coverage Questions
If you have questions about Erie Insurance coverage, make sure to check out the answers in this section.
Does Erie Insurance cover car rental when car breaks down?
If you have comprehensive coverage, you’ll most likely be able to get the cost of a rental car covered if your vehicle breaks down or has issues. Make sure to check that this is included in your policy.
Does Erie Insurance cover me when driving a camper?
This will depend on your policy. It’s always a good idea to speak with your agent or directly with Erie Insurance to see if you have this type of coverage on your policy.
Does Erie Insurance cover moving trucks?
In some cases your insurance will still cover you if you’re driving a rental car, but this is always worth clarifying with your agent as you want to make sure that you have the right type of coverage.
Does Erie Insurance cover pothole damage?
This will depend on your level of coverage and the circumstances. You can speak with your Erie insurance agent to seek further clarity on pothole coverage.
Does Erie Insurance cover cracked windshields?
If you have the right level of coverage, such as comprehensive coverage, you should be covered for your windshield. Just make sure to check that it’s covered in your particular policy if you want to be certain.
Does Erie Insurance cover rental cars?
In most cases, you’ll find that Erie Insurance does offer rental car coverage, but it will depend on your policy. Always make sure to check before you assume you have this type of coverage.
Does Erie Insurance cover windshield replacement?
If you have comprehensive coverage, the cost of your windshield replacement should be covered. As with most coverage questions, it’s always best to check with Erie Insurance directly to be certain.
Does Erie Insurance cover towing?
If you add roadside assistance to your plan you will have access to towing. There are limits on the distance that your vehicle can be towed under this coverage option.
What does comprehensive insurance cover Erie?
Comprehensive coverage covers a range of additional things, such as vandalism, windshield cracks, storms, theft, and more. For a full list of what is included, make sure to ask your Erie Insurance agent.
What states does Erie Insurance cover?
Find insurance options in your state:
Other Erie Insurance Questions
Do you have any other Erie Insurance questions? If so, you might be able to find the answers in this section.
How does Erie Insurance work?
Erie Insurance works like pretty much any other insurance provider. If you want to seek coverage, you can head to their website and apply for a quote. Alternatively, you can speak to a local agent if you want a more personalized service.
Can I purchase Erie Insurance online?
Yes. You can apply for a quote at Erie Insurance directly via the internet. This can help you speed up the process and gain quick access to the coverage that you’re looking for! While shopping for auto insurance you can also compare their rates with other companies to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
Does Erie Insurance go up after 1st accident?
This will depend on the particular circumstances and the type of coverage that you have. In some cases, you may be able to get accident forgiveness on a first accident. Related: How can I lower my car insurance?
Can you buy Erie Insurance from a broker?
There are local Erie Insurance agents that you can use to purchase insurance and file claims. You can also buy Erie Insurance directly through the company’s website if you want to save time.
Can you call Erie Insurance at any time?
Yes. Fortunately, you can call Erie Insurance at any time if you’re looking to make a claim. This is a great feature that means you can contact their team 24/7 — get in touch if you need help.
Does Erie car insurance use credit reports to set rates?
Erie Insurance may use your credit score to help determine risk factors with your driving. It’s important to ask them about this directly if you have any additional questions about this or a possible auto insurance credit score.
Can you put your Erie car insurance company on iPhone?
There is a mobile app that you can use to download key information and store insurance cards and other information. This app is compatible with both iPhone and Android.
Does Erie Insurance offer a good student discount?
Erie Insurance doesn’t currently offer a full student discount, but there are other discounts you can take advantage of. There is student discount that can help your parents save money if you’re not driving the car while you’re away at college. There is even a discount for young drivers that can help you save money. We reviewed the best car insurance for college students in another article.
Does Erie Insurance offer discounts?
Yes — there are a few different discounts on offer at Erie Insurance. While there isn’t a full student discount currently available at the company, there are other discounts that you can use to save money.
Does Erie Insurance offer motorcycle insurance?
Yes, you’ll be able to insure your motorcycle with Erie Insurance. This is a particularly great feature considering that many auto insurance companies don’t offer motorcycle insurance to clients.
Does Erie Insurance raise rates for speeding ticket?
You might not be able to take advantage of certain discounts if you receive a speeding fine. This is a topic that you should discuss directly with Erie Insurance.
Does Erie Insurance take Discover?
Yes, you can pay with Discover Card at Erie Insurance. This is another excellent feature considering plenty of insurance companies don’t accept this type of card.
How does Erie Insurance total a car?
If a car’s repair costs will exceed the value of the car, then Erie Insurance may designate it as totaled. The exact methodology they use to determine this is not publicly available knowledge.
How does Erie car insurance rate?
Overall, Erie Insurance appears to have a pretty positive review with consumers and groups that rate different insurance providers. Still, it’s always a good idea to check with consumer watchdog groups if you want to assess current customer sentiment.
Can I pay Erie Insurance online?
Yes, you can pay your Erie Insurance online through the site. This is a great way to make paying your insurance premiums much easier.
Can I pay Erie Insurance with credit card?
Yes, you can typically pay for Erie Insurance with a credit card. At present, you can use American Express, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
Does Erie Insurance offer no accident discount?
If you haven’t made any claims, you may be able to get a discount that can reduce the overall cost of your insurance. This can be a nice bonus if you’re looking to save some money. If your car insurance keeps going up in price then you may want to check them out.
Does Erie Insurance only do annual payments?
It appears that you have multiple payment options at Erie Insurance, but you should speak with your agent directly to see what options are available for your policy.
How Can I change my Erie email insurance address?
If you want to change your current email address at Erie insurance, you can log into your account online and change the address directly. You’ll need your current email address and password to do this.